Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Eastern Amateur Team Championships

Many congratulations to Paul MacIntyre, Brian Hulse, Libardo Rueda, and Alan Price, the winners of this year's Amateur Team East tournament! Out of the 250+ teams participating, theirs was the only team with a perfect 6-0 score, sealed by MacIntyre's clutch win (the game was actually agreed drawn in order to seal the match) over GM Kaufman in the last round. The Boston-based squad will play for the national championship in March, and we wish them well.

Your humble scribe also participated in the tournament, and over the next few days I will try to post some of my games, with analysis. In the meantime, I have to put down an insurrection from my cat, who apparently took my absence as a sign that she is the true master of the house, and is now stealth-biting me at every opportunity.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Go Sasha.

Unknown said...

You didn't already know she was the master of the house?

Paul MacIntyre said...

Charles,

Thanks. It's a strange feeling to be so soon following in your footsteps. Boston is a serious chess center now; let's hope the USCL team can finally win. BTW, although I did have a 2 pawn edge according to Fritz versus GM Kaufman, I gave him a draw on move 33 as it was the last game and we only needed a half point to clinch the match. Our team gave up three such "mercy" draws: Hulse to Abby, and me to Critelli and Kaufman. And since the team did win, it's all good.

CRR said...

Oops! Thanks Paul, correction made.